Tom Paine's iron bridge : building a United States
"The little-known story of the architectural project that lay at the heart of Paine's grand political vision for the United States. Thomas Jefferson praised Tom Paine as the greatest political writer of the age. The author of 'Common Sense' and Rights of Man, Paine helped make re...
New York :
W.W. Norton & Company,
|Subjects and Genres:|
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
- Author's note: Architect, not engineer
- River city
- The hazards of competition
- Years of peril
- The trials of the republic of Pennsylvania
- The Schuylkill and its crossings
- The Schuylkill Permanent Bridge Company
- The magical iron arch
- American architect
- An architect and his patrons
- The great rupture
- The specter of Paine
- Citizen Paine
- No nation of iron bridges
- A note on sources.