Early African American print culture
University of Pennsylvania Press : Library Company of Philadelphia,
|Subjects and Genres:|
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
Table of Contents:
- Introduction: Early African American print culture /
- Lara Langer Cohen, Jordan Alexander Stein
- Pt. 1. Vectors of movement.
- The print Atlantic: Phillis Wheatley, Ignatius Sancho, and the cultural significance of the book /
- Joseph Rezek ;
- The unfortunates: what the life spans of early Black books tell us about book history /
- Joanna Brooks ;
- Frances Ellen Watkins Harper and the circuits of abolitionist poetry /
- Meredith L. McGill ;
- Early African American print culture and the American West /
- Eric Gardner
- Pt. 2. Racialization and identity production.
- Apprehending early African American literary history /
- Jeannine Marie DeLombard ;
- Black voices, white print: racial practice, print publicity, and order in the early American republic /
- Corey Capers ;
- Slavery, imprinted: the life and narrative of William Grimes /
- Susanna Ashton ;
- Bottles of ink and reams of paper: Clotel, racialization, and the material culture of print /
- Jonathan Senchyne
- Pt. 3. Adaptation, citation, deployment.
- Notes from the state of Saint Domingue: the practice of citation in Clotel /
- Lara Langer Cohen ;
- The canon in front of them: African American deployments of "The charge of the light brigade" /
- Daniel Hack ;
- Another long bridge: reproduction and reversion in Hagar's daughter /
- Holly Jackson ;
- "Photographs to answer our purposes": representations of the Liberian landscape in colonization print culture /
- Dalila Scruggs ;
- Networking Uncle Tom's Cabin;
- or, Hyper Stowe in early African American print culture /
- Susan Gillman
- Pt. 4. Public performances.
- The lyric public of Les Cenelles /
- Lloyd Pratt ;
- Imagining a state of fellow citizens: early African American politics of publicity in the Black state conventions /
- Derrick R. Spires ;
- "Keep it before the people": the pictorialization of American abolitionism /
- Radiclani Clytus ;
- John Marrant blows the French horn: print, performance, and the making of publics in early African American literature /
- Elizabeth Maddock Dillon.