Orphan Society of Philadelphia records

The Orphan Society of Philadelphia, a privately supported institution, was founded in 1814. In March 1815, the Society began operations and soon was caring for twenty-five orphans in a rented house on Market Street, west of Broad Street. Most of the original orphans were children who were moved fr...

Full description

Saved in:
Bibliographic Details
Corporate Author: Orphan Society of Philadelphia (Creator)
Collection:Orphan Society of Philadelphia Records
Collection Number:1913
Format: Manuscript
Language:English
Subjects:
Online Access:Link to finding aid

MARC

LEADER 00000ntc a2200000 u 4500
001 ead-1913
008 131004i xx eng d
040 |e dacs 
041 0 |a eng 
099 |a 1913 
110 2 |a Orphan Society of Philadelphia  |e creator 
245 1 |a Orphan Society of Philadelphia records  |f 1814-1965 
300 |a 9.5 Linear feet  |f 6 boxes, 77 volumes, 1 flat file 
506 |a Two volumes in the collection are closed to researchers: Volume 72: Admittance book, 1946-1955 (will be open January 1, 2030) Volume 73: Admittance book, 1929-1945 (will be open January 1, 2020) Researchers should contact HSP staff if they wish to access information in these volumes about themselves.  
520 |a The Orphan Society of Philadelphia, a privately supported institution, was founded in 1814. In March 1815, the Society began operations and soon was caring for twenty-five orphans in a rented house on Market Street, west of Broad Street. Most of the original orphans were children who were moved from the Almshouse upon a recommendation by the Guardians of the Poor. The orphanage operated continuously from 1815 until 1965 when it merged with the Elwyn School in Elwyn, PA. The institution, while non-sectarian, was Christian-based in philosophy and teaching. For at least the first one hundred years, admission was restricted to “destitute fatherless children of married parents.” Boys were not admitted over the age of seven and were housed until the age of sixteen; girls were not admitted over the age of nine and were housed until the age of eighteen. During the 150 years of its operation, the Society resided in four successive homes in three locations and served approximately eighty to one-hundred orphans most years. However, by the 1950s, applications had decreased significantly; there were only twenty-three orphans under the Society’s care when it merged with the Elwyn School on February 14, 1965. This collection, which includes annual reports, historical records, committee and financial reports, ledgers, account books, real estate papers, admission books, and indenture and binding books and papers, is richest in the detailed minutes that record the administrative workings of the Society, the Visiting Committee reports, and in the books, correspondence, and papers reflecting the lives of individual orphans. 
541 1 |a Gift of Orphan Society of Philadelphia.; 1965 acquired 
555 |a Finding Aid Available Online:  
650 7 |a Apprenticeships for Children--Philadelphia.  |2 Local sources 
650 7 |a Charitable Organizations--Philadelphia.  |2 Local sources 
650 7 |a Child Welfare-Philadelphia  |2 Local sources 
650 7 |a Women's History--Charitable Organizations--Philadelphia.  |2 Local sources 
852 |a The Historical Society of Pennsylvania  |b Orphan Society of Philadelphia Records  |l 1913 
856 4 2 |y Link to finding aid  |u http://hsp.org/sites/default/files/legacy_files/migrated/findingaid1913orphansoc.pdf