Ludwick Institute records

The Ludwick Institute, organized in 1799 as the Philadelphia Society for the Free Instruction of Indigent Boys, chartered in 1801 as the Philadelphia Society for the Establishment and Support of Charity Schools, was the first free educational plan in Philadelphia. Girls were admitted in 1811. In 1...

Full description

Saved in:
Bibliographic Details
Corporate Author: Ludwick Institute (Philadelphia) (Creator)
Collection:Ludwick Institute Records
Collection Number:1783
Format: Manuscript
Language:English
Subjects:
Physical Description: 3.0 Linear feet 3 linear feet, 3 boxes, 7 volumes
Summary: The Ludwick Institute, organized in 1799 as the Philadelphia Society for the Free Instruction of Indigent Boys, chartered in 1801 as the Philadelphia Society for the Establishment and Support of Charity Schools, was the first free educational plan in Philadelphia. Girls were admitted in 1811. In 1872 its name was changed to Ludwick Institute after its chief benefactor Christopher Ludwick. With the establishment of the tax-supported Public School system, the Ludwick Institute stopped holding classes around 1890, but continued to sponsor a course of free lectures at the Academy of Natural Sciences. The records include: enrollment books, 1801-1858; minutes and extracts of minutes of the board of managers and of the contributors, 1832-1951; minutes of the Committee on Instruction and Lectures, 1904-1940; miscellaneous correspondence, 1899-1950; miscellaneous financial records including check stubs, 1859-1898, 1912-1916, and treasurers' reports, 1886-1918; and two typescript biographies of Christopher Ludwick, one by Edward W. Hocker and one anonymous.