Philadelphia Bicycle Club records

The Philadelphia Bicycle Club records, 1879-1902, consist of administrative materials such as minutes, charter and bylaws, correspondence meeting announcements, and membership materials, as well as financial and property records, including several materials related to the construction and maintenanc...

Full description

Saved in:
Bibliographic Details
Corporate Author: Philadelphia Bicycle Club (Creator)
Collection:Philadelphia Bicycle Club Records
Collection Number:1357
Format: Manuscript
Language:English
Subjects and Genres:
Online Access:Link to finding aid
Tags: Add Tag
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
Physical Description: 1.375 Linear feet ; 1 box, 10 volumes
Summary: The Philadelphia Bicycle Club records, 1879-1902, consist of administrative materials such as minutes, charter and bylaws, correspondence meeting announcements, and membership materials, as well as financial and property records, including several materials related to the construction and maintenance of the club house at 26th and Perot streets, such as property transfer documents, construction contracts, mortgage and tax documents, and other related materials. Of interest in the collection is the calculations of the distances ridden by various members of the club, information about the awards given out to various members, and the listing of the various bicycles owned by the club's members. The Charter, bylaws and amendments (volume 1), 1879-1895, contains information about the Club's colors, uniforms, and whistle code. The Charter and By-Laws of the Philadelphia Bicycle Club and Philadelphia Cycle and Field Club (volume 2), 1891, is a published volume that also contains member lists, dates of important events in PBC history, park rules for bicycles, and information about the Associated Cycling Clubs of Philadelphia and the League of American Wheelmen. There are also several advertisements for various businesses in this volume, many of which relate to cycling, bicycle accessories, clothing, and other bicycle-related goods. The correspondence in box 1, folders 2 and 3, mostly contains letters relating to the building and furnishing of the club house, including bids from various Philadelphia firms. The meeting announcements contain information about the monthly meetings for both the Philadelphia Bicycle Club and the Philadelphia Cycle and Field Club. The meeting announcements also have names of proposed members for the clubs, some of which have been handwritten into the printed announcements. Insurance documents in the collection relate to fire insurance for the club house as well as equipment insurance for the club's bicycles, uniforms, and other items kept at the club house. The insurance documents contain detailed lists of the bicycles and other equipment belonging to each member. There is a sampling of pamphlets from heating companies with illustrations of heating systems from the late 19th century in the collection, which could be of interest to researchers studying the history of home heating.
The Philadelphia Bicycle Club was organized in 1879 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania to advance the interests of cycling and promote the riding of bicycles as a means of exercise, locomotion, and enjoyment. The Philadelphia Bicycle Club was dissolved in 1902 and its assets were distributed to the Philadelphia Cycle and Field Club in Ardmore, Pennsylvania. The Philadelphia Bicycle Club records, 1879-1902, consist of administrative materials such as minutes, charter and bylaws, correspondence meeting announcements, and membership materials, as well as financial and property records, including several materials related to the construction and maintenance of the club house at 26th and Perot streets.