Philadelphia Romanian-Americans in traditional folk dress group portrait, 1936
This group portrait depicts members of Descent of the Holy Spirit Parish's choir, "Atanasiu Lipovan," together with members of Societatea Banateana-Vasile Alecsandri, posed in front of their church building facing Brown Street in Northern Liberties, Philadelphia. This photograph was ta...
|Collection:||Societatea Banateana-Vasile Alecsandri records (#3685)|
|Dimensions:||48 x 24 cm|
|Subjects and Genres:|
|Copyright:||Please contact Historical Society of Pennsylvania Rights and Reproductions (email@example.com)|
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
This group portrait depicts members of Descent of the Holy Spirit Parish's choir, "Atanasiu Lipovan," together with members of Societatea Banateana-Vasile Alecsandri, posed in front of their church building facing Brown Street in Northern Liberties, Philadelphia. This photograph was taken in late 1936 after the choir traveled by train to a congress of the Romanian-American Episcopate in Youngstown, Ohio, where they performed a variety of Romanian religious and secular songs for which they were awarded the trophy, "Radu Florescu." The choir at this time was under the direction of Andrew Batejan. Note the flag standard of the society in the upper left corner and that of the choir directly in the middle of the photograph. Note also that the men are dressed in traditional "Calusarii" costumes (often sewn and embroidered by women in the community--many of whom also worked in local garment industries) for dancing the Romanian folk dance known in Banat and Transylvania as the "Calusariul" or "Caluseriul."
The choir was headquartered in the society building at 229 Brown Street. From 1934-1936, they published a mimeographed newsletter, "Coristul" (The Chorister), edited by Nicolaie (Nicolas) Bogdanescu with Petru (Peter) Andras as managing editor.
First row bottom (from left to right): Catita Damianov, Maria ("Micky") Shumantzu, Florence Tzintoi Foik, Anna Ardelean Mischka, Mary Andras, Catita ("Little Katie") Radici Costea, George Ardelean (Choir President), Valeria Ardelean Costea, John T. Bogdan, Ruth Dobos, Andrew Batejan (Choir Director), Mary Boldovici, Catita (Katie) Bogdan Rosu, (?), Eva Magdin Kreal, Florence Albu, Anna Brancu Batejan, (?).
Second row middle: (?), Lazar (Larry) Lautas, (?), Anna Gallu McErlane, Elita (Alice) Ivascu, Eva Ivascu Quinn, Eva Tzintoi Barzin, Cristina Sumantzu Batejan, Rucsa Batejan Duminica, Catita (Katie) Batejan, Maria Rosu, Domnica (Dorothy) Dobos, Anna Bogdan Kretu.
Third row back: Cornel (Carl) Bogdan, Tudor Minda, (?), John Mischka (Micsa), Ioan (John) Rosu, Ilie ("Willie") Dobos, John Batejan, Iosif (Joseph) Govosdian, George Farca, Petru ("Rosu") Onea. At top: Nicolas Bogdanescu, George Rosu. At bottom: George ("Gita") Croitor, John Dirina, Peter Andras, Ioan (John) Tihoi, Dumitru ("Mita") Bogdan, Simion (Sam) Gallu, Ioan (John) Kretzu.
Far left on ledge: George ("Geddje") Magdin, (?), Mary ("Boots") Croitor Clark.
Far right on ledge: Simion (Sam) Batejan, Romulus (Raymond) Becican, Julian Croitor, Ioan Radici.
The sponsors ("nasul" and "nasa" of the choir's flag standard in the middle of this photograph) were John T. Bogdan and his cousin Eva Tzintoi Barzin, dressed in a white suit and standing to the left of the flag. The right of this honor for them was purchased by her cousin John T. Bogdan's parents, John and Florea Bogdan.