Samuel B. Fales portrait

In South Philadelphia, at the corner of Washington Avenue and Swanson Street, a neighborhood grocer named Barzilai Brown began distributing food to soldiers traveling to and from the nearby Navy Yard and railroads. This operation, originally referred to as “Brown’s,” became the Uni...

Full description

Saved in:
Bibliographic Details
Collection:Samuel B. Fales collection of Union Volunteer Refreshment Saloon papers (#1580)
Dimensions:25.4 x 30.7 cm
Box Number:Box 14
Folder Number:Folder 7
Format: Electronic
Subjects and Genres:
Copyright:Please contact Historical Society of Pennsylvania Rights and Reproductions (rnr@hsp.org)
Online Access:https://digitallibrary.hsp.org/index.php/Detail/objects/13523
Tags: Add Tag
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
Summary: In South Philadelphia, at the corner of Washington Avenue and Swanson Street, a neighborhood grocer named Barzilai Brown began distributing food to soldiers traveling to and from the nearby Navy Yard and railroads. This operation, originally referred to as “Brown’s,” became the Union Volunteer Refreshment Saloon on May 27, 1861. Samuel B. Fales was the Corresponding Secretary of the saloon.

This digital record contains one image of one print from folder 7.