Woodlands Cemetery Company papers
The Woodlands Cemetery was founded in 1840 on the grounds of the Woodlands estate, formerly belonging to famed Philadelphia lawyer Andrew Hamilton (c. 1676 - 1741) and heavily renovated by his grandson, William Hamilton (1745-1813). Soon after its founding, the cemetery became a popular burial spot... Full description
|Collection Information:||Woodlands Cemetery Company Papers (#3661)|
|Corporate Author:||Woodlands Cemetery Company (Philadelphia, Pa.)|
|Subjects and Genres:||More/Less|
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
Materials Separated from the Resource: Six atlases from this collection have been removed to the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's atlas collection.
1) Atlas of the North Penn section of Montgomery County, PA (1916)
2) Atlas of the 27th and 46th Ward of Philadelphia (1909)
3) Atlas of the 40th Ward of Philadelphia (1910)
4) Atlas of 24th, 34th, and 44th Wards of Philadelphia (1911)
5) Atlas of the 29th Ward of Philadelphia (1911)
6) Atlas of the 42nd Ward (1913)
Four maps not related to the Woodlands Cemetery are now part of the Historical Society's maps collection.
1) "Map of the Main Line and Eastern Delaware County" (1933)
2) "Map of Philadelphia, Camden, and Vicinity" (undated)
3) a United States map (1959)
4) a map of Philadelphia (1931)
Papers relating to the Price family (descendants of Eli Kirk Price (1797-1884)) but not to the operations of Woodlands Cemetery have been removed and are now their own collection, the Price family papers (collection 3690).
66.5 Linear feet 50 boxes; 152 volumes; 1 flat file drawer
Most of this collection is open for research. Folders and items containing medical, personel, and payroll information are closed to researchers for 75 years following the creation of the materials.
Researchers should be aware that while this collection was cleaned for mold, it may still aggravate allergies and asthma. Please be cautious when handling items and ask for gloves and/or a mask if you experience any discomfort.
The Woodlands Cemetery was founded in 1840 on the grounds of the Woodlands estate, formerly belonging to famed Philadelphia lawyer Andrew Hamilton (c. 1676 - 1741) and heavily renovated by his grandson, William Hamilton (1745-1813). Soon after its founding, the cemetery became a popular burial spot for prominent Philadelphia men and women. The historic mansion and carefully tended grounds also made it a frequently used public recreation spot. The cemetery is still functioning as of 2012.
This collection documents the growth and activities of the cemetery from its founding in 1840 into the 1990s. It contains administrative materials, financial records, correspondence, burial records, deeds to land in West Philadelphia, deeds to burial lots, blueprints and maps of the cemetery grounds, and a small number of photographs. The heart of this collection is burial records and correspondence about burial lot maintenance, although there is also a good deal of Woodlands Cemetery Company financial information and documentation of renovations and changes to the cemetery grounds and mansion.