White-Williams Scholars records
The White-Williams Scholars serves needy and talented students in the Philadelphia schools. It is one of the oldest charitable organizations in the country, founded in 1800 as the Magdalen Society of Philadelphia (Magdalen Society of Philadelphia Records are maintained separately as Collection 2016... Full description
|Collection Information:||White-Williams Scholars Records (#3025)|
Link to finding aid
|Corporate Author:||White-Williams Scholars|
|Subjects and Genres:||
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
98.0 Linear feet 98 linear feet, 199 boxes, 85 volumes
The White-Williams Scholars serves needy and talented students in the Philadelphia schools. It is one of the oldest charitable organizations in the country, founded in 1800 as the Magdalen Society of Philadelphia (Magdalen Society of Philadelphia Records are maintained separately as Collection 2016). The organization shifted its focus in 1917 from rehabilitation to prevention of delinquency. It provided counseling in the schools, and training for counselors, as well as financial assistance. Eventually, the school district took over the responsibility for counseling. In 1918, the organization changed its name to the White-Williams Foundation to honor two of the original founders, Bishop William White and George Williams. The name changed again in 1994 to White-Williams Scholars, as it is known today, to recognize the current mission of supporting high-achieving secondary school students with weekly stipends.
The collection includes administrative and financial records. There are volumes of Board of Trustees and Annual Meeting minutes and reports covering the period 1917 to 1960, as well as a set of scholarship accounting ledgers from 1924 to 1982. There are also files documenting bequests and other contributions, and employee records. About two-thirds of the collection is school and student files that contain personal and family information, income data, and academic records for the students who received financial support from the late 1970s through 2001. Because of the personal nature of these files, access is restricted for seventy-five years from the date of creation. The additions to the collection include Board of Trustees minutes (1960-1980), annual reports (1952-1997), financial records (1977-2004),student/scholarship files (1927-1988 and 2005-2006), general office files (1980s-2000s), and other items.
Accession 2008.073 includes board minutes and reports (1980-1995); files on graduates (2002-2007) and senior reports (2005); and card files on former trustees (1920s-1980s), donors (1950s-1980s), special scholarships (1929-1944), and an alumni survey (1974). There are also various reports on grants and scholars (1984-2004), lists of students, a binder of papers on graduates from 1949-1982, and a photocopy of a compilation of historical photographs of the foundation and students from 1925-1979. The additions consist of 31 linear feet of material and 33 boxes and date from 1927 to 2007.